Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Jeanfield Swifts Football Club app


2003 Boys - Match centre

Jeanfield Swifts Football Club
Kelty Hearts
Wed 22 Aug 18:45 - League Full time

Fine margins in first home defeat


Well contested game at the Riverside but wrong result

A keenly contested encounter saw a large Kelty Hearts squad visit a depleted Jeanfield for the first time in the new AFYFC 18-19 season.

The Swifts squad is severely stretched with Saul robinson missing for a number of months due to a broken leg, Finlay Duncan out with a hamstring, Shaun Pryde with an ACL and `Harry gregory with an ankle knock.

Kelty started the game confidently and quickly had the home side penned in their own half, but a resilient Jeanfield withstood the early pressure and after the first ten minutes managed to breakout through Joe Jeffers and Daniel O'callaghan. Jeffers was holding the ball up well and drew several fouls from the opposition which allowed Jeanfield to progress up the park.

Kelty would take the lead around 25 minutes in when a corner on the left hand side was struck low into the box and somehow made it's way in at the near post. 0-1 Kelty. Jeanfield responded and set O'callaghan free in behind the defence, but once in behind he hit a tame effort straight at the keeper. The home defence was battling hard marshalled by Josef Honeyman and Scott Peebles in the centre. Any Kelty attacks that did make it in behind were being repelled by Connor Rosewell, with a number of impressive stops. But Kelty would score another before the HT whistle and Jeanfield trailed 0-2 at the break.

Some changes in the patchwork home side saw the second half start with renewed impetus for the Swifts. Before long the pressure told and a Jeanfield high press caused panic which allowed O'callaghan to pick up the ball on the left hand side before rounding the Kelty keeper. 1-2.

Kelty's confidence was shaken and for the next 15 minutes Jeanfield searched for the equaliser. A Jeanfield corner caused some panic, but the ball was scrambled clear, the home side were scrapping well now and Kelty were conceding some free kicks but Jeanfield could not take advantage. The next goal looked to be vital and Jeanfield came so close when a great ball from left to right released Kieran Oates, his strong running carried him clear but his shot from the angle crashed off the upright.

Kelty's quality meant that they were still proving dangerous on the break and the Jeanfield defence were putting their bodies on the line to stay in the game with Honeyman and Dalrymple both taking knocks. Honeyman eventually had to be replaced due to a cut knee.

As the game entered the final stages Jeanfield's efforts began to catch up with them and with few options on the bench it Kelty stepped up. A free header in the midfield ran between to the two Jeanfield centre half's and the Kelty striker saw his chance and took it. 1-3

In the last five minutes Kelty added a fourth when the tired Jeanfield defence just couldn't clear the ball from inside the six yard box. 1-4 FT.

The fourth goal decided the outcome of the game. Jeanfield dug in and nearly managed to take something from the game but Kelty deserved their win in the end. MOTM Jo Honeyman

Get the team together and play Fantasy League

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors