Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Jeanfield Swifts Football Club app


2003 Boys - Match centre

Dalziel Boys Club
Jeanfield Swifts Football Club
Sat 3 Nov 11:00 - Cup Full time

Narrow cup defeat for 03's


Jeanfield 2003's go out of the Scottish Cup in R3

The Swifts visited Motherwell's Dalziel Boys Club in the third round of the Scottish Cup on Saturday.

Jeanfield looked comfortable and confident in the early stages of the match moving the ball well when in possession.

But out of possession they allowed the home side to settle and Dalziel started to control the play. After 15 minutes a passing move on the right hand side saw the ball go out of play for a throw in. The touchline and home coaches indicated the ball was out, but the referee saw things differently. As the Swifts midfield stopped and claimed for the decision, the home side carried on, the ball cut back to the edge of the box saw a Dalziel player unopposed at the edge of the box and he struck a great low finish past Connor Rosewell. 1-0

The Jeanfield backline of Lewis Finnie, Daniel Millan and Josef Honeyman were working hard as Dalziel seized the initiative. Several times they broke down the right hand side and good crosses were not converted. Millan, starting his first game, was defending well to repel the home attacks.

Jeanfield began to rally and a Scott Peebles free-kick picked out Honeyman at the back post but his header flashed wide. Ronan Antoniewicz began to influence the play, first flighting a pass from deep midfield over for for Daniel O'Callaghan who could not quite get on the end of it. Then, after reading the play, picking up a loose ball and driving through on goal, only to blast his shot high and wide when one vs one at the angle. Before the second half O'Callaghan would do the same when he was again released in behind, meaning the Swifts would go in at HT 1-0.

Jeanfield made changes to personnel and formation with Scott Peebles and Joshua King making way for Kieran Oates and Rodger Van Schaik. The home side came out of the traps fast hoping to finish the tie early but Jeanfield looked more solid, with Oates making an immediate impact.

Decisions continued to go against Jeanfield however with a series of marginal free kicks and offsides going in favour of the home side.

The Swifts were getting up the park thanks to the drive and determination of Oates and he won a corner on the right hand side. Before it could be taken Finlay Duncan had to go off the field with a dead leg after a strong challenge in the midfield and Peebles re-entered the field.

Dalziel would claim a second after ten minutes when the ball was played across the box from the right hand side and an unmarked midfielder tucked away a finish from just inside the box. 2-0 cue wild celebrations from the home side. Jeanfield could count themselves unlucky having carved out several good chances.

The team were by no means out of the game though. A further blow would come as some of Swift's frustration spilled over. After being denied a free kick near the Dalziel box, Peebles challenged the home player from behind in what was a definite Yellow card offence, to compound matters he then kicked the ball away, giving the ref an easy decision, who duly showed a second Yellow.

Going down to ten men seemed to galvanise Jeanfield. A tactical substitution saw Van Schaik replaced by Diego Hernandez Rocha. His more physical presence began to occupy the defence and Swifts were suddenly looking the stronger side. Joe Jeffers was working hard and would get his reward in stunning style. A Dalziel attack was broken up by Antoniewicz who played the ball forwards the edge of the 18 yard box and as the ball broke loose from O'Callaghan, Jeffers lashed it high into the top corner on the volley. 2-1.

Swifts had the bit between their teeth, another chance came for Jeffers on the left hand side, he was played through on goal but lobbed his shot over keeper but wide of the target. A cross from the right reached him but he couldn't quite climb high enough to get his header on goal.

Jeanfield's push to get level left spaces and Dalziel would take advantage as the game entered it's final stages. An exposed backline couldn't prevent the home side's third goal from a central position in the box. 3-1.

The game was not over however and Jeanfield responded bravely again. Rob Douglas was busier in the midfield and the home team were resorting to fouls to stop him advancing. The pressure was building on Dalziel again and Daniel Millan struck Jeanfield's second goal when, reading the play well, he stepped onto a lay-off from Jeffers, picked his spot and struck a low drive into the corner beyond the despairing home keeper. 3-2.

The home team were beginning to wobble and despite some break-aways could not finish the game off. The momentum was with the ten men of Jeanfield who refused to lie down and battled hard in the search for a equaliser. As the clocked ticked down it was Jeanfield who looked the likeliest to claim the next goal but despite their valiant efforts the final whistle blew and Dalziel BC claimed the win to progress to the next round.

FT 3-2. Firespec MOTM Daniel Millan

Back to league business next week away Vs Blue Brazil.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors