Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Jeanfield Swifts Football Club app


2003 Boys - Match centre

Kelty Hearts
Jeanfield Swifts Football Club
Sat 23 Mar 12:30 - Cup Full time

2003's exit in league cup Semi


Kelty come from behind late to knockout Swifts

In the 5th match of the season between the teams, Jeanfield visited Central Park for the League Cup Semi-final vs Kelty Hearts.

Jeanfield were looking to continue recent uplift in form with a win against the league leaders.

The first half was evenly contested with both sides having opportunities without anything especially clearcut.

Swifts new goalkeeper Fraser Cumming was making his debut behind a defence who were limiting the home side to few chances and a midfield who were breaking up attacks. Cumming was dealing well with crosses into the box and punched clear more than once. In attack Jorge Palma Montano was proving a threat, his energy and workrate unsettling the opposition who conceded fouls against him more than once.

Jeanfield had to reshuffle the pack midway through the half, when Scott Peebles couldn't continue after contesting a strong challenge in the centre, he was replaced by Daniel Millan, who was making his first appearance for a while after a serious injury.

The half finished all square. 0-0.

The second period was similar to the first with both midfield's battling for superiority but with neither in total control. Jeanfield broke the deadlock around the sixty minute mark. A Kelty attack was stopped in the midfield and the ball was sent forward quickly to Joe Jeffers. He received the ball on the left hand side and drove past his marker, before cutting back inside on his right foot and lashing the ball home from the edge of the box past the helpless keeper. 0-1.

Kelty responded immediately with changes to both formation and personnel and it would pay dividends soon enough. In a move that started on the left hand side of midfield, some nice two touch football had Jeanfield chasing shadows and the ball was switched out wide right. A searching cross reached the back post where Campbell Begg rose well to head home the equaliser. 1-1

As the game entered its final phase, it looked as if the next goal would be crucial. Kelty now had the bit between their teeth and the home team's Josh Barber ,who had impressed the whole match would swing the tie. He timed his run in behind the defence and was picked out by a ball over the top. The most minimal contact saw him win a penalty for his side and he stepped up to take it himself, scoring low to the keeper's right. Cumming got a hand to it but could not keep it out. Advantage Kelty 2-1.

The penalty sapped the energy from Jeanfield and fresh legs were needed. Daniel O'Callaghan, Josh Young and Diego Hernandez Rocha entered the field. O'Callaghan making his return to Jeanfield after months away. The Swifts still had chances and and run cross from Ronan Antoniewicz carried him wide right. He drove the ball across the six yard box but no one was on hand to take advantage.

The home side, killed the tie with a third goal late in the game, Barber again with an excellent finish from the right hand of the box across the keeper to make the final score 3-1 and see Kelty reach the final.

Jeanfield contributed fully to a well contested game, with the outcome in the balance until the late stages. Good luck to Kelty in the final.

Jeanfield 2003's are kindly sponsored by Firespec Keepsafe Storage and Penguin Electrical

Jeanfield 2003's continue in Cup action with the next fixture away Vs Kennoway in the quarter final of the East Region Cup. KO at 11am, Cotlands, Saturday 30th March. #COYJS

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors